Friday, January 4, 2019

Day 10: Lazying Around Because We Sick

Well not everyone, but half of our crew is feeling crumby. Katie and I spent a horrible night hugging the porcelain throne, and then slept a good ten hours last night. Applesauce and toast are all we ate today. Dinner was plain steamed rice. Exciting vacation huh? This was me and Grams at 11am. Not much changed throughout the day.

Ugh. At nearly 1pm, the healthy people decided to trek down to the famous Duval Street. Think Burbon Street in New Orleans but without the music. It’s just eateries and shops but they went and walked around in the heat - 86 here today. The hottest it’s been so far on our trip. After getting souvenirs, they sat down to eat at a restaurant - well most of them ate. Some people were still feeling a bit queezy. 



By the looks of it, and the accounts afterward, they had a good time. Got some shrimp and seafood which is what you’re supposed to eat when you’re in the Keys. They even make their Christmas tree in the town square out of lobster boxes. Cute touch. Katie ordered a big m&m cookie from this place but then didn’t feel good, so the cookie is sitting in the kitchen. 

Where were Grams and Papa during all of this? Resting on the couch watching crime dramas. Where was I? Well since I’m the only driver on our rental, I drove them down to Duval and then decided I was too tired to drive the 15 minutes back to our condo...so I found street parking and took a nap with the AC on low. I woke up an hour or so later and Todd and the kids were just finishing up their lunch. I waited a bit and then picked them up. My nap was good but it was probably the fifth I’d had so I’m clearly not better yet. Poo-ee. 
It’s so much like Hawaii, they even have Banyan trees here! Jess and Caleb have been enjoying the pool and hottub daily. Katie and Em took a nap this afternoon. And Grams and Papa got a lot of us sucked into this CSI show. I never watch that stuff but Lawrence Fishborne is pretty awesome. I see Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy in the near future. Sadly some of us had to cancel our tour of Dry Tortugas tomorrow. The boat plus this stomach bug don’t equal anything good. The kids took lots of great photos of Duval Street while I slept like a hobo in my car. You know you’re sick when you can’t drive 15 minutes. It just felt like an eternity. Until tomorrow friends. Hopefully a few more of us will be healed and might venture out of the condo. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh no!!! Not the Dry Tortugas trip!!! I'm so sorry... That stinks... Hope you feel better soon!!! Though honestly the boat is moving the whole time and isn't bad at all when the water is flat??

    ReplyDelete